Friday, January 27, 2017

~ Editing update ~ How this novel has shaped me as a writer ~ {Much rambling}

Okay so I had a really hard time finding pics for this post cause I wasn't able to get any writing-related photos, so alas, here are some snowflakes on ice, onto the post now. XD 

Alright, so, you may have noticed that a couple posts back I subtly mentioned I had finally started editing, right? And so obviously even though I didn't get nearly as far into it as I would've liked, I decided to talk you guys about what's up before you accuse me of ignoring my responsibilities entirely. 

So, basically right now I'm just reading through the first draft and making excessive notes as I go along, (Because before I tried just jumping into it and fearlessly, recklessly revising everything in sight until I got stuck because I realized just how messed up my actual plot is and was left sad and confused and intimidated, true story) 

I'm almost halfway through, and now that I'm nearing the middle I'm starting to realize that the whole thing really isn't all that bad, I mean, the beginning is next to unbearable, but it gets better, the plot is just very very flawed and I'm noticing how I don't really have enough 'in-between' stuff, like filler scenes between significant events that  flesh out the plot and make the whole thing seem less choppy and jagged as you're reading it. Anyone else ever have this?

Also I have come to one very important conclusion, there is going to be a lot more re-writing involved than I previously anticipated, like, I might have to tear most of the basic plot apart and then piece it back together in an entirely different manner, make sense? No? Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me either. XD

I realized something this week, guys, as I was going through my first draft, some of the most embarrassing and cringe-worthy scenes, wondering if this story even could be salvaged, (mind you this was when I was going through some of the early chapters *winces* those were some dark times)
Basically wondering if, when it all comes down to, well, everything, is this novel worth it? Now, this isn't something that I have really taken the time to fully dwell on, but it has crossed my mind many a time, usually when I'm forced to face the fact that, in reality, my novel isn't a literary masterpiece, and it probably never will be.

But you know what? I'm okay with that.

Because writing this book taught me thing, it taught me a lot of things actually, it literally made me the writer I am today.

I learned to set goals and stick to them
I learned that the first step to getting a first draft written is throwing the idea of perfection out the window and just w r i t i n g 
I learned that writing has become a part of my life and something that I'm really truly serious about.

Also learning that my characters tend to have minds of their own and oftentimes I'm forced to just go with it, I love this cast though, despite their craziness, and I've realized just how attached I've become to them as well.


And that's why I haven't given up on this story, why I didn't while I was writing and I'm totally not going to now.

Any editing tips? 
Stuff you learned from your first novel? 
~HANNAH~

12 comments:

  1. DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP AND YES THIS POST IS SUCH TRUTH - you can do this okay yep

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER EVER SHALL I, AND EEP THANKS - gosh I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're doing great! I look forward to hearing more about your editing journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Soleil! I'll definitely be posting more about it.

      Delete
  4. TRULY YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION. XD I should start editing my novel.... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOSH THANKS. XD. And yes, yes you should.

      Delete
  5. Ahh this post *hugs* Yes. Just ... yes. Editing is so hard and frustrating and stinky, but it IS worth it. It will never be perfect because there IS no perfect way, and that's really a reflection of life. It shows us how things don't have to be flawless to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Yesss editing is awful, but you are sooo right Hannah, thank you. <33

      Delete
  6. YOU GOT THIS HANNAH *gives chocolate to help motivate you*

    Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEP THANKS ELLIE. *accepts chocolate because it genuinely helps*

      Delete
  7. Hannah! You keep editing! Don't give up now. :) I like the things you shared with us about what you learned. Especially the second point. I've had to learn that as well. I look forward to hearing more about your book.

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will, Ashley! Thank you so much! And yes, it's definitely hard to learn but it was probably one of the only reasons I was able to write two novels. I'll definitely be sharing more about it as I go along!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, I love chatting with you guys!