Monday, January 16, 2017

~ The Snippets Tag ~


So today, on this terribly dark and dreary day, I'm finally doing the snippet's tag which I've been tagged twice for (thanks Sare and Chloe!) And have been putting off for a while, but today I've finally worked up enough courage to actually share a bit of my writing with you! XD

So these are all snippets from my novel Dragon's Blood, not the one that's currently being edited, goodness knows when anyone's going to read any of that.

So anyway, ONTO THE SNIPPETS.

1. Share your most gripping, fascinating, hooking first line of your story. 

"This girl is not like us, she is not human" 

*cringes because of the cliche-ness* not really gripping or fascinating but it is my first line.

2. Share a snippet that made you want to shout to the world because you are SO HAPPY. 
Ahem, erm, you see, happiness was not exactly the key emotion that I experienced whilst writing this book, it was more like SOMEBODY SAVE ME FROM THIS MAKE IT END, but I'm sure I could find something that at least pleased me.

Aryn became restless in her wandering, either she wanted to scream and destroy the very walls surrounding her, or she didn't even want to breathe.
"Aryn, you must stop this" Zephrar spoke quietly.
Aryn paced between the east and south walls, as if it mattered which walls they were, as if anything mattered here.
"Stop what" Aryn uttered.
"This"
Aryn blinked,  but didn't look at him.

Well this will have to do even though I'm not really sure it makes me happy. XP 

3. Share a snippet that gives a bit of insight on one of your most favorite characters ever. 

Zeph felt like a fool, a stupid, hopeless  fool, there had been his chance, she had actually opened, even if it had been a mere crack in the coldness she had encased herself in, she had spoken to him, she had wondered about The Keeper, even if she had been obviously skeptical, there had been his chance and he had completely blown it,, and now he despised himself for it.
Empty fantasies.
No.
But as quickly as Aryn had expressed the slightest implication of any emotion, any indication that there was still life inside, it had disappared, she paced the prison, gaze blank, empty, cold.
Burning indignation rose inside him, contempt for the humans, he knew it was wrong, he knew he shouldn't hate the humans, or the dragons. he shouldn’t despise those of his own kind or hers.
But he did.
He very much did.

Alright, to be honest Zeph isn't exactly my favorite character in my novel, but I felt like this described him pretty well and also kinda gave an insight on what Aryn was going through at the moment, to be honest though, my main characters never seem to end up being my favorites, oddly enough, it always seems to be the side-characters that I become more attached to and enjoy writing more, it happened in both my novels, has this happened to anyone else? XP


4. Share a snippet that gets you beaming with pride like, 'Yep, I wrote that beauty' 

“No!”

Aryn gasped as she bolted upright, struggling to draw a full breath, sweat ran down her back as the echoing scream faded, Aryn leaned limply against the cold stone wall, erratic heartbeat slowly steadying.

Why tonight?” The dream occurred often, it was Aryn’s only source of a faint hope that she may have had a family at one point, may have actually mattered to someone.

If the dream was anything other than a fantasy conjured out of sheer desperation, how could such a thing be so vivid? But if it was a memory, real and true, how could it be so alive even then? Why did this dream haunt her?


5. Share a snippet of genius, deliciously witty  dialogue between your characters. 

"We're going to practice actual fighting today"
Aryn groaned. "Is that not what we did yesterday?"
"Yesterday was trying to keep you from killing me"
"And if you make me do anything stupid again, i will kill you"

*groans* these characters, so negative, and the sass is not helping.

“Are lizards at all related to dragons?” Aryn interrupted.
“What? No, that’s ridiculous, pay attention”
“Wait, not at all?” Her brow furrowed as she paused stroking the tiny creature.
“Okay, maybe, distantly, very distantly, but we’re hardly the same things as-” He nodded to the lizard, “That?”
“True” Aryn nodded as she lifted the lizard closer to her face, “He’s a lot more tolerable” Her amber eyes twinkled.
Matteo glared, “Seriously, just put the thing down so we can focus”
Aryn rolled her eyes and let the little reptile free, it quickly retreated into the shade.

That's a little later in the scene, but oh my goodness that was seriously one of the most random and-out-the-blue things in this book, seriously, don't ask. XD

6. Share a snippet that leaves you breathless, in a cold sweat with action-induced intensity. 

Aryn swallowed hard, so many voices, so thirsty for bloodshed, someone was going to die today, all for their entertainment.
Her opponent was advancing slowly. Struggling hard to shut out anything she thought or felt, Aryn forced a few steps forward, even if her confidence was feigned, if she was dying today, she was not going down without a fight.
A fight would only feed their intense desire to see her die, but this was a matter of survival.

7. Share a snippet of a most interesting first meeting between your characters.

 tried to find a snippet for this, guys, BUT ALAS, SUCH A THING DOES NOT EXIST, nothing that I like enough to share anyway. 
Okay, so this is shortly after the two main characters first meet, but not quite when they've been formally introduced.

Everyone in the prison became even more standoffish than before since the fight with the new dragon, he kept to himself, apparently the bruised scales on his face and side had learnt him his lesson.
Still Aryn couldn't deny the fact that she hadn't forgotten his words that had followed the fight, he had spoken of dragons having dignity and respect, a correlation between the two was something that had never once occurred to Aryn, who was this dragon and why did he repel the others so? what was the blasphemy and fantasies that the ancient one in the shadows disregarded with such severity?

I tag...
E v e r y o n e

XD. Such specific-ness.

So, to be truthful, this novel is a horrible mess and I'm not even sure if I really like it, but I decided to suck it up and share these snippets with you anyway so you can maybe kind of get an idea of what my writing style is like, honest critique is appreciated, just remember that I wrote all of this during the craziness of Nanowrimo and it is a thousand miles away from perfection. 

P.S.  I FINALLY STARTED EDITING, but more on that later. ;) 

So, what did you think of this first-ever peek inside one of my stories?
Honest thoughts please?


~HANNAH~

17 comments:

  1. *throws hand in the air* may I please beta read?

    Oh my goodness tho. I love your snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, as long as I get to beta-read for you.

      Eeep! Thank you so much Chloe! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like one of the most fun tags EVER! Thanks for opening it up to everyone, I can't wait to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUPER fun, you should definitely do it. :)

      Delete
  4. And these lines... I really like them -

    "Yesterday was trying to keep you from killing me"
    "And if you make me do anything stupid again, i will kill you"

    *claps hands and nods in approval*

    ReplyDelete
  5. THESE SNIPPETS OH MY GOODNESS. <3 And isn't it weird that our favorite characters often are the side characters? One of my favorites is an enigma with somewhat interesting features, like her pragmatic, dry sense of humor and the fact that she never speaks with contractions... you bet I'll be doing this tag sometime soon. :D Probably next week?

    xoxo Morning
    http://theworldthroughmywindowsill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS MORNING THANK YOU <33 I know right? They're just so much more interesting sometimes, oooh, she sounds anawesome character, can't wait to see your snippets!

      Delete
  6. oh my goodness your writing is so lyrical and gorgeous and eep

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness thanks so much dude

    ReplyDelete
  8. *hugs you* YES I LOVE THIS BOOK AND ALL THE THINGS AND PEOPLE AND JUST YAS *sighs happily* but still, poor Aryn in the beginning *glares at you* XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* OH MY GOODNESS SERIOUSLY THANK YOU SO MUCH GIRL.
      You're one to talk. *glances suspiciously at your book* XD

      Delete
  9. "I tag... everyone." I don't know why that made me giggle so much, but it did. xD

    EEP YAY FOR SNIPPETS! I admire you so much for putting them out on your blog for the world to read. I'm a giant chicken and can't bring myself to do that, so go you! :D

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well I kinda forgot I had to tag people until I was almost finished with the post so it was just easier. XD

      EEEP THANKS KATIE. Awe, you're so sweet, and you should TOTALLY post some of yours sometime! I'd love to read more of your writing. <3

      Delete
  10. I loved reading your snippets! Your novel seems really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me sooo happy, I'd love to chat with you!